Coloring solely the numbers in a numbered listing can add a little bit of enjoyable or level out a critical merchandise in your Microsoft Phrase doc.
Numbered lists are simple to create in a Phrase doc. Kind the listing, click on the Numbering possibility within the Paragraph group on the Residence tab and Phrase provides a consecutive quantity to every listing merchandise, beginning with 1. There’s quite a bit you are able to do with that listing although, and coloring the numbers separate from the textual content is likely one of the best. On this article, we’ll create a easy listing and apply colour to these numbers in three other ways.
SEE: 83 Excel ideas each consumer ought to grasp (TechRepublic)
I am utilizing Microsoft 365 on a Home windows 10 64-bit system, however you should use earlier variations. You possibly can obtain the demonstration .docx and .doc recordsdata, however you may as well shortly create your personal listing. This system is not supported by Phrase On-line.
How you can add the numbers in Phrase
We’ll want a fast and easy listing for demonstration functions. To save lots of time, you may obtain the demonstration recordsdata or create a fast listing of your personal. I am going to use the enjoyable listing proven in Determine A. So as to add the numbers, choose the listing after which click on Numbering within the Paragraph group on the Residence tab. Don’t be concerned if the quantity format is a bit totally different; this selection is sticky—it remembers the final quantity format and makes use of the identical one. Your numbers do not should match however if you’d like them to, click on the Numbering dropdown and select the suitable format. Now that we now have an inventory of numbers, it is time to add the colour.
1. Outline a brand new format
Including colour to solely the numbers is simple as a result of Phrase helps a quantity format. By default, it matches the textual content, however you may simply change it. First, choose the listing; Phrase will not spotlight the numbers, although—that is regular. To paint the numbers, do the next:
- With the listing chosen, click on the Numbering dropdown and select Outline New Quantity Format (it is on the backside of the dropdown listing.
- This primary dialog permits you to change frequent codecs for the numbers. We can’t change these. As a substitute, click on Font.
- This subsequent dialog permits you to change the font colour for less than the numbers. Bear in mind, we’re defining a quantity format. From the Font Coloration dialog, select crimson (or any colour you want), as proven in Determine B.
- Click on OK twice to return to the doc and the brightly coloured numbers proven in Determine C.
When you create the brand new format, will probably be obtainable within the Numbering dropdown, as proven in Determine D, so you will not should repeat these steps once more. Nonetheless, there’s one other approach.
2. Use a font colour
For those who do not plan to make use of the coloured numbers once more, you do not have to create a brand new quantity format. The benefit of doing so is that the format—the coloured numbers—can be found within the Numbering dropdown. However there’s one other approach, and it is a tad faster:
- Double-click any quantity within the listing. Doing so will spotlight solely the numbers, as proven in Determine E.
- Click on the Font Coloration dropdown (within the Font group on the Residence tab) and select a colour from the palette. This time, I selected inexperienced, as you may see in Determine F.
As talked about, the massive distinction is that the inexperienced quantity format will not be obtainable within the Numbering dropdown. There’s another method to colour the numbers, but it surely takes a bit extra work.
SEE: Workplace 365: A information for tech and enterprise leaders (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
3. Alternate colours
Thus far, we have formatted all the numbers with the identical colour. Let’s suppose you need a number of numbers to be a distinct colour. On this case, you want a clear listing, so take away the numbers altogether. Then, click on Present/Cover within the Paragraph group. We’ll use the paragraph marks to assign totally different colours to the numbers as follows:
- Choose the paragraph mark on the finish of the primary merchandise, Buy groceries.
- Click on the Font Coloration dropdown and select Pink.
- Choose the second merchandise’s paragraph mark and select Inexperienced, as proven in Determine G. Discover that the paragraph marks tackle the chosen colour.
- Proceed alternating crimson and inexperienced till you have formatted every paragraph mark, as proven in Determine H.
Now you are able to create the listing. To take action, choose the listing after which click on the Numbering possibility within the Paragraph group. Determine I exhibits the outcomes—type of cool and enjoyable! Click on Present/Cover to cover the paragraph marks. You possibly can additionally add the numbers after which colour the paragraph marks.
When making use of colour to extra critical content material, you would possibly colour the quantity for just one merchandise—one thing that you simply wish to stand out. You can too colour bullet factors as proven in Determine J. On this case, you’d merely click on Bullets. The formatting is already there, and the change is rapid. To work from scratch with bullets, the method is similar: choose the listing after which select Outline New Bullet from the Bullets dropdown.
One factor to remember is that the numbering function is sticky—I discussed this earlier than. So, when you transfer round and do different issues and are available again to the listing, the expertise may be a little bit totally different, which will be irritating. That is why defining a format is useful.