Sharing not working while you attempt to current from Google Meet in Chrome on macOS? There’s a simple repair, and Andy Wolber will present you the way.
I used to be in a Google Meet session with shoppers. “OK, go forward and current your display,” I mentioned. I waited. Nothing. No display sharing occurred. They noticed a immediate (Determine A) to alter permissions, however weren’t positive what to do. So we moved on to different points with out display sharing.
SEE: Analysis: Video conferencing instruments and cloud-based options dominate digital workspaces; VPN and VDI much less in style with SMBs (TechRepublic Premium)
Every week or so later, it occurred once more. I used to be in one other Google Meet session with totally different folks and so they, too, struggled to current.
In each instances, the one who needed to current from Google Meet on a Mac wanted to alter a single macOS safety setting. Nonetheless, the setting wasn’t straightforward for the particular person to search out and alter rapidly, particularly in the midst of a gathering.
So, for those who ever plan to current or share your display whereas in Google Meet in Chrome on a Mac, comply with the steps beneath. For these steps to work, be sure you:
- Have Chrome put in in your macOS system,
- Are signed in to Meet together with your Google account in Chrome, and
- Know your macOS administrator password.
The adjustments beneath be certain that Google Meet has the macOS safety permissions essential to permit you to current your display.
(Be aware: If you happen to neglect your macOS administrator password, you might reset it just a few alternative ways. Attempt to reset the password from Restoration Mode first. Alternatively, in some instances you may strive different strategies, comparable to resetting it together with your Apple ID.)
Methods to allow display recording permission for Chrome on macOS
- Choose the Apple menu (within the higher left nook of the display).
- Select System preferences (Determine B).
- Choose Safety & Privateness (Determine C).
- You could have to unlock earlier than you modify settings. Choose the lock (Determine D, within the decrease left nook), then a message and a immediate will show. Check in, both with TouchID or together with your system administrator account title and password.
- Ensure that the Privateness button is chosen (from the tab throughout the highest of the choices), then scroll down and choose Display screen Recording (from the left menu).
- Within the field to the suitable, scroll till Chrome is displayed, then choose the field to permit display sharing (Determine E).
- If Chrome is open, you might be notified that the setting will likely be utilized solely after Chrome quits (Determine F). Select both Later or Give up & Reopen. I like to recommend Give up & Reopen.
- Choose the lock (within the decrease left nook) to safe your settings.
After you’ve got made the above adjustments, you might current from Google Meet in Chrome in your Mac. Whereas in a gathering, choose the Current Now icon (shows like a field with an arrow pointing up in it) on the backside of your display, then select one among three choices: Your Total Display screen, A Window, or A Tab.
SEE: 9 ideas for audio conferencing with Google Meet (TechRepublic)
Methods to allow digicam and microphone permissions for Chrome on macOS
Moreover, Chrome wants entry to digicam and microphone permissions to share video and audio with Google Meet. Typically, you may have already allowed this entry while you began a Google Meet session. If you happen to ever need to verify the settings or change them, the method is much like the steps lined above.
To allow Chrome digicam permissions: Apple menu | System Preferences | Safety & Privateness | scroll to Digicam | unlock if wanted (as above) | Examine the field subsequent to Chrome (Determine G).
To permit Chrome microphone permissions: Apple menu | System Preferences | Safety & Privateness | scroll to Microphone | unlock if wanted (as above) | Examine the field subsequent to Chrome (Determine H).
What’s your expertise?
If you happen to use a Mac—or use Google Meet with individuals who use macOS—have you ever seen folks encounter issues once they try and current? How do you assist folks previous the above one-time adjustments to display recording, digicam or microphone safety settings? What different strategies have you ever used to share your Mac’s show throughout an internet assembly? If you happen to use Google Meet on macOS, let me know what your expertise has been, both within the feedback beneath or on Twitter (@awolber).