Jack Cable, a safety architect at Krebs Stamos group, and a former U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Safety Company employee, has began a ransomware funds monitoring web site known as Ransomewhere.
As a result of bitcoin transactions are public, you may see—in the event you look—who’s getting paid how a lot.
Ransomwhe.re retains a working tally of ransoms paid based mostly on nameless self-reporting by the victims of ransomware. The complete database is on the market free of charge to researchers and all enforcement.
SEE: Find out how to handle passwords: Finest practices and safety suggestions (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
So, who’s getting essentially the most ransom cash? As of the writing of this script, listed below are the highest 5.
- $12.7 million in bitcoin to Conti. The group behind Conti stands out as the identical group behind the Ryuk ransomware. The assault towards Eire’s Well being Service is attributed to Conti.
- $12.1 million in bitcoin to REvil/Sodinokibi. They are not the one one that provides ransomware as a service however they had been probably the most profitable at it. Their highest profile assault was towards the Casey desktop administration service, however additionally they attacked the U.S. navy contractor HX5. Nevertheless, on July 13, 2021, REvil infrastructure shut down.
- $4.6 million in bitcoin to Darkside. The assault towards the Colonial Pipeline system is attributed to Darkside as is an assault towards Toshiba. Its malware shares numerous code with REvil’s. On Might 14, 2021, Darkside introduced it had misplaced entry to its cost server, weblog and funds.
- $4.5 million in bitcoin to RagnarLocker. This group has been round since 2019. It has been used towards Portugal’s Vitality Utility, the gaming firm Capcom and extra not too long ago, DRAM and NAND flash maker ADATA.
- $4.2 million in bitcoin to MountLocker. This ransomware effort has been not too long ago up to date to raised evade safety. It has been used extra usually towards Biotech firms not too long ago. Personalized variations of MountLocker from Astro Locker and XingLocker are additionally on the market.
It isn’t reassuring to see the big amount of cash going to ransomware, however in the event you need assistance making the case of why it is essential to arrange for it, possibly this helps. And the info itself is helpful at getting a deal with on what the threats on the market are.
Subscribe to TechRepublic High 5 on YouTube for all the most recent tech recommendation for enterprise execs from Tom Merritt.