Tom Merritt tells us his prime 5 annoyances in tech and why they’re irritating.
Know-how is our job, it is our recreation, I daresay for many people, it is our life.
And it may be ANNOYING.
These annoyances have modified over time. In 1996, I do know some needed to do with Trumpet Winsock. What are they nowadays?
I did an off-the-cuff ballot of my mates in tech to search out out what they discover most annoying about tech nowadays.
SEE: The CIO’s information to quantum computing (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
Evaluate these to your personal. These are my prime 5 annoyances in tech.
- Battery life. I will be sincere, batteries have gotten loads higher however they’re nonetheless not one thing you possibly can neglect about exterior of a reader or a watch. The truth is, I discover that with processors and storage at sufficient ranges, the battery is commonly the factor that drives me to exchange a tool. Particularly as typically it is a whole lot of hassle to exchange the battery.
- Software program updates. Every thing about them. The truth that they interrupt what you are doing. The truth that they bug you with that little badge on the app icon. The truth that many updates trigger issues to worsen not higher. And but, you need to all the time do them, particularly for safety causes. Software program updates: Cannot dwell with ’em, cannot dwell with out ’em.
- Autocorrect. I’m a foul typer, particularly on cellular. And but, autocorrect appears to introduce errors extra typically than it catches my errors. At finest, it is a wash. I’ve tried turning autocorrect off, although, and I see simply how dangerous my typing actually is. However not less than I see it! Autocorrect typically sneaks in and modifications phrases if you’re not wanting! However I nonetheless say autocorrect is extra auto than right.
- Passwords. I’ve hope for this one. The FIDO alliance and all the foremost tech firms are shifting towards a passwordless future, and we will not get there quick sufficient. Password managers and their integration into cellular have helped. However passwords cannot be gone too quickly.
- The Web. Granted it makes all this tech compelling and helpful. But it surely nonetheless does unfathomable issues, like not allow you to obtain that factor you have to. Like work superb in your videoconference till the assembly truly begins then grind to a crawl. I do know. It is actually unfathomable that the web works in any respect. However as a result of it is so good, it makes it a lot extra annoying when it goes dangerous.
These are my annoyances. What are yours? Tell us.
Subscribe to TechRepublic Prime 5 on YouTube for all the most recent tech recommendation for enterprise professionals from Tom Merritt.